Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 25

3 days AFTER graduation.


Quote of the Day: “To lead by example is the true treasure, the secret of leadership, in one simple measure.” – Victor Gonzalez

Last TV Show I watched: Gilmore Girls, Season Finale (Can I just say…AHHH! When does the next season start?)


Okay, so I really have lots to tell you, but I’m going to start at the beginning because I don’t want to ruin the surprise… J

The last couple of weeks have been rough, as I’m sure you have all noticed in my last posts. I just felt like between being an international student and having worked in Family Housing for the past year, I would never get a job…or at least not a job that I’d be excited about. And here’s the thing: work is everything to me. My family is so far away; friends come and go. The only constant in my life for the past five years has been ResLife and the fact that I love what I do. Without that, I don’t know what I’d do. This year has been hard enough because I didn’t really love my job…or at least I didn’t like all of it. Fortunately, I still had RHA and being an advisor for them got through some rough times.

The other three ResLife graduate students had all accepted jobs – accepted great jobs. With their faces lighting up every time they talked about their new position, I didn’t know how much longer I could stand this. I was happy for them, of course, but I also couldn’t help but be jealous and bitter over the fact that they had a job and I didn’t. What had I done wrong???

People were now coming up to me on a daily basis asking me if I had accepted a job – Hall Directors, other grads, students. I felt like crying every time someone asked me. Others suggested I should apply at my current institution but that would have felt like giving up. I didn’t want to work here; I’d only do it because I couldn’t find a job anywhere else. And on those rare occasions when I had a smile on my face, my supervisor asked me if I had been offered another on-campus interview. I couldn’t do it anymore. So I stopped smiling and started avoiding people.

Then, the last week before graduation came around and I had two on-campus interviews scheduled for that week. I wasn’t at all excited about the first school, but I’d become excited about the 2nd one. Neither school was in California. I’ve long ago given up the dream of ever making it out there. But at least with the second school, I knew, it’d be an amazing position at a wonderful institution, and I could really see myself LOVING my job there. But did I have a chance of getting that job?

[To be continued…]

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This suspense is really a killer

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home