Saturday, April 22, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 19

Post 19 from Now Hiring?

Music that keeps me going: Goapele "First Love"

Yes, yes it's been a long time since I've written. Well, patience my friends. I'll detail what's been going on in Now Hiring?'s world...

1. My dad came to visit. I guess he was pretty bored and decided to visit his oldest son. We chatted a while, saw "Scary Movie 4", and had some good Godfather's Pizza (yummy!).
2. I became an uncle. My brother and his lady had their first child, a son. He came in 7 lbs., 8 ozs., and had a full head of hair. Already he has had ladies want his phone number (when he gets older, of course) because of his good lucks. He gets it from his uncle, no doubt.
3. One of my students got into trouble...serious trouble with the law. It pertains to the next point below.
4. Our annual spring celebration is in full swing, so I've been trying to take in the festivities before graduation. Our celebration is to, as the PR folks would say, "to showcase our university and its students". It's more like students get a free pass to act a fool and imbibe as much spirits as possible.

Lemme just say, this weekend has been an experience in watching the different developmental levels of my students here on campus, and in some ways, how we as professionals have a long way to go. While my girlfriend and I were walking to the parade, I overheard several students (who looked like freshmen) talking about going to a "kegger" after the parade...that ended at 12:00 in the afternoon! I wanted to stop them and ask them "why drink in the afternoon? why drink underage?" And this got me thinking about a couple of points...
(1) As a professional, we should immediately focus on moral development and making "good choices". And, we should go to the student's level and educate. The police out here are doing that with advertisements on campus saying "Don't drink in public; it doesn't look good to the ladies" (or something to that effect). We can use theory, but it only goes as far as the level of the student.
(2) I feel (and this is personal) that I'm more "reactive" than "proactive". That means, I handle problems after they surface, rather than before it becomes troublesome. When it comes to responsible decision making, I guess I trust my students to do the "right thing". But, what I think the "right thing" is doesn't usually correlate with the student's upbringing and thought processes. I try to relate to my past experiences, but with some students they want to experience life for themselves. It's a bitter pill to swallow, because I want them to succeed, but I want them to live.

Okay, enough of the fussin' and cursin'...back to work. I guess I better finish this paper or I won't graduate, and who wouldn't want that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home