Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 21

24 days until graduation.


Mood: drained

Music: noise of the maintenance workers fixing the apartment upstairs

The students of our Residence Hall Association recognized me at our Banquet on Monday. It was the cutest thing ever. They had this whole little speech for me that almost made me cry, and I got beautiful flowers and a book. The whole thing was totally unexpected. And it meant so much to me because it really seemed to come from the heart. I will miss these students so much!

But while things are going well at work, the job search is continuing to cause me headaches and pain. I got two more rejections on Monday, one before and one after the banquet…so much for being happy for more than an hour. I have set up another on-campus interview, but the school is not necessarily a place I’d love to go. I just feel like right now, I need to take any offer I can get because there aren’t that many coming in. And if I don’t get a job, I will have to leave this country…and this may sound immature and childish, but if I need to leave after this year, I am not planning on coming back. I will move to England or Australia and start a new life there and try to block out all the bad memories of my time in the United States.

I haven’t thought of myself as an international student in five or six years, but suddenly I feel like I have ‘international student’ branded on my forehead and suddently everything I ever dreamed of isn’t possible anymore. At the same time, some of my colleagues, who haven’t worked half as hard as I did over the past two years, will get job at their dream schools. It’s enough to make anyone bitter and frustrated.

But hey, at least I got three on-campus interviews now. One already done, two more to go. I may not be doing cartwheels by the thought of working at any of these schools, but it’s a job and somehow I’ll manage to get my motivation and energy back (not sure yet how but it’ll just have to happen). One of those schools I do like, a lot; I’m just not excited about the location. But I can get over that because it is a really really good school. It’s the one school, where it wouldn’t upset me that I didn’t manage to find a job somewhere nice and warm. But then again, I only have a on-campus interview so far…I don’t even know if they’ll like me and offer me a job. So putting all my hopes in that one school probably isn’t the smartest idea because if it doesn’t work out, I’ll crushed once again.

I’m also still waiting to hear from a couple of schools. I e-mailed one of them on Monday and am now anciously waiting to hear anything. So I guess there’s still hope out there…I’m just feeling very hopeful myself right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home