Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 22

17 days until graduation.

Quote of the Day: “Impossible are only the things we don’t do.” – Princess Fantaghiro

Song of the Day: “Bad Day” – Daniel Powter

There’s not much going on with my job search. I still have those two on-campus interview coming up (toward the end of the month) and I’m getting more nervous and confused the closer they’re coming. Do I really want to work at these schools? They are nothing like what I dreamed off just a few months ago. Will I be happy there? How important is it to be happy?

And will I even get an offer with this attitude? I’m trying very very hard to be positive, but how can you be positive when you had to give up on all your dreams over the past few weeks. They’re not bad schools…just not what I was looking for. One of them stands out for me right now…but I don’t want to put this pressure on me…what if this new top school doesn’t offer me a position…what do I do then?

And what about the schools I haven’t heard from yet. Does that mean they didn’t like me? Or are they just slow in their process? But if they’re not doing any on-campus interviews until later in May or June, can I wait that long? I should be able to stick around at my current school for May and June and possibly the first half of July. But after that, if I don’t have a job, I’ll be out on the street. And for me, being out on the street means that I’d have to pack my stuff and move back to Austria. And then it’s not just goodbye dream job, but goodbye America and possibly even goodbye Student Affairs.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there -- don't get down on yourself! you have probably already heard this a million times, but those 'dream' jobs have a way of not really turning out that way, and sometimes the totally unexpected school turns out to be a fantastic. my first job was at a school that no one i knew had ever heard of, in the middle of nowhere with a rowdy student body. i only took the on-campus interview because i was scared - but i LOVED it and my experience with my supervisor and co-workers shaped the rest of my career. as you know, there are a TON of res life jobs out there - keep applying to all the new ones you see & have faith!
best, a

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home