Thursday, March 02, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 12

Post 12 from Now Hiring?

My Mood: Really Tired
My Music: Amerie "1 Thing"

It's been a really long couple of days, but I have to keep this short. I've been running around in circles with things in my mind. After the conference last week, I kind of went into a depressive mood. I enjoyed everybody being here, I could be myself, but then they left, and my life went back to reality...and I didn't like it! I was sick on Monday, Tuesday, and yesterday, but I'm feeling a little better. I have another conference tomorrow where my students are presenting. I'm not anxious about it; it's the second time in 2 weeks where my students are the showcase.

I also had an on-campus interview with a local university yesterday. I was pretty anxious to visit a rival school and see what opportunities they had. I was nervous during the drive, thinking about the types of questions they would ask me. When I got there, I could feel the environment was relaxed, and that I could probably funciton in the atmosphere...until I told people where I was from. I got a lot of stares (like the "how the hell you'd get here?" kind) when I told them where I came from. The search committee seemed really nice, and I felt I could work for them without any problems. The drive home was conflicting...should I worry more about the questions I answered or the comments I got from 1-2 people?

During the drive home, I called my dad (yeah, very safe having a conversation flying down the highway at 75 miles an hour). I asked him about what I should do. His suggestion was classic...trust your gut. My initial feelings were positive; the office was expanding, the university had a dedicated focus on students, and the benefits were good. Even the tour guide made me feel welcome. But I couldn't shake the "oh's" I got. I'll give it some sleep and prayer to see what my gut tells me. It's worked for me thus far, and I'll see where it takes me.

So the moral of the story is...no matter how prepared you are, how much research you put into looking at your job, your gut feeling is something that will trump it all.

Okay, I've gotten little sleep the past few days. It's about time I got some before I just drop during tomorrow's conference. Take it easy, y'all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home