Thursday, March 02, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 12

64 days until graduation.

Movie I’m watching right now:
Three to Tango

Way I’m feeling:
absolutely exhausted and unfortunately really sick.

Okay, so I have to admit, I used to make fun of my parents when they were sick but still went to work. I thought it was the stupidest thing anyone could do. I mean, work is never that important that you won’t take advantage of a nice, relaxing sick day. Lying in bed all day, having your mom make you tea and soup…what could be better?

Well, just a few years later, I’ve turned into my parents. I’ve not been feeling well since Sunday and have had a fever for the past couple of days, but I’ve continued to go to work and classes every day. With Spring Break coming up next week, there is just so much to get done that I don’t feel like I can miss work right now. I’m just glad it is Spring Break next week, so I will get to stay in bed until I feel better.

I should really be in bed right now, but Interview Days for my graduate program are tomorrow (or actually today, since it’s past midnight) and Friday. I’m hosting two candidates and my apartment is a mess. So I’ve spent the last couple of hours cleaning and doing laundry.

The job search has had its ups and downs this week. I have scheduled a few more interviews for ACPA. My interview schedule is basically full for Saturday and Sunday, as I definitely don’t want to have back-to-back interviews. Right now, I have at least half an hour between interviews and I’d like to keep it that way.

My phone interview went really well. I always get so nervous before these things. But I didn’t even have to talk much. They let me ask questions for most of it and then they were telling me all these things about their institution and I got really excited about possibly working there. I’m not sure if I expressed that well over the phone though. It’s just so hard! But I have an interview scheduled with them for ACPA now, so that’s exciting.

I saw another institution that I was interested in, but as I started reading through their position description for Resident Directors, I noticed that it stated that the institution would not be a sponsoring agent for an international student. I was pretty upset after reading this. It just doesn’t seem fair. If I am qualified to do a job, it shouldn’t matter what country I was born in. Sometimes I really can’t remember why I want to be here so badly…I’d be much better off back in Europe, where I’m actually wanted.

What’s really frustrating is that most Americans have no idea about immigration laws. How many times have I been told: Why don’t you just apply for citizenship? BECAUSE THEY WON’T LET ME!!! You have to be a permanent resident for four years before you can even apply for citizenship…and any years as an international student don’t count toward that as you are not considered a permanent resident.
You know what also really annoys me? Every time I fly somewhere, whether it’s leaving the US or coming back, I get checked like five times at the airport. I’m pulling out of the line; my luggage is checked; I’m searched. I was told that I just fit the profile of a terrorist: single, college student…and then, of course I’m a vegetarian. We all know that a lack of meat intake makes you want to kill people, right?
I just don’t get this country: If you have well educated, qualified people, wouldn’t you want to keep them in the country instead of kicking them out?

Alright, enough rambling. It’s time for another load of laundry. TTYL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home