Sunday, February 12, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 7

82 days until graduation.

Quote of the day:
"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
– A Cinderella Story

Okay, this will be a much shorter post than the last one. It’s Sunday night and since I wasn’t productive at all this weekend, I’m not scrambling to get at least the most necessary tasks done before I go to bed.

I need to call this immigration attorney on Monday to set up a meeting and find out more about my options in regards to applying for a visa. I hope he has some good advice for me. And I could really need some good news right now.

I try not to worry about all this too much. It’s hard sometimes. A lot of times, I feel like screaming or crying or hitting something. Then, I look myself in my apartment, so that nobody else needs to witness my “nervous breakdowns,” as I like to call them. And after that, I try to keep telling myself again that I need to stop worrying. Worrying won’t help. Whatever is meant to happen will happen.

But I need to start taking some serious actions. I have been putting the whole job search off because I’m just too confused and freaked out about this whole immigration issue. But if I keep this up, all the good schools will have their interview slots for ACPA filled.

So here’s my resolution of tonight: Tomorrow morning, I will call the attorney and set up a meeting time for either this or next week. Then, I will respond to all the e-mails from schools that have contacted me so far regarding interviews at ACPA. And lastly, I will contact at least five schools this week that I’m interested in.

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should know that your options are great as a fellow international staff member. I wish there was some way to email you directly so I could give you some pointers. Just please know that you should first and foremost apply for your opt (i started that way too) and then apply for jobs. Look at instiutions Human Resources pages and international offices and it should tell you whether or not they sponser for the H-1b. This however should not be a deterent to you applying for positions as well as replying to emails. Apply for opt IMMEDIATELY...Apply for jobs...get a job...start on opt...then stress the H-1b (and remember that higher ed is excluded from the annual cap).
I look foward to hearing about your process.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the encouraging words!
I have set up an e-mail address for anyone, who wants to contact me directly. It's bloggerc0000@yahoo.com.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home