Sunday, February 26, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 11

Post 11 from Now Hiring?

Okay, okay, this is a day late. However, I have been really really really busy with our conference here on campus I had been advising. I am extremely proud to say that my students did a wonderful job planning and hosting 1200 students for the past 3 days. When registration began, I was amazed at the ease people were getting their information and t-shirts. Our conference services staff here did an extraordinary job with logistics, and catering made some pretty damn good food. There were no major problems, and many people commented on how nice the facilities were and how there were no slip-ups. I must tell you, it was a beautiful sight to see all these people at my school. And, in all honesty, I was sad to see everybody go, because it was such a wonderful time.

Also, I was a host for a great speaker. He flew in early to take part of our festivities and was very popular with everybody he met. In his lunchtime talk, he said something that struck me and is constantly swimming in my head. He told the participants "It's not your fault how you got here, but it's your responsibility to get out of here". It made me think on two fronts. First...my students...many blame society for the lives they've lived thus far. Some will tell tales of woe and horror about what they've gone through. I feel at times we'll say "it's okay" and let them be. I also feel that we complain about where our students are, or how the world is...and leave the discussion there. Let's take our work "to the next level"...let's go out and try to impact change. Let's not live vicariously through our students, but let's work alongside them to make our campuses, and ultimately our nation, a better one. I commented that it's easy to point fingers at the problem, but sometimes we don't have the initiative nor the care to help fix it. Note: I'm not saying this towards everybody in our field, for I know there are some dedicated "change agents" out there, but our American society as a whole is more "me" instead of "we"; we're an important part of this society, and must critically look at ourselves and see what our impacts are.

Second...I think about this job search. Sometimes I complain about how I got into the field and how it would be easier to just quit and make some real money. But, I'm here, and I ain't quittin'. It's my responsibility to make change. It's my duty to help people "take it to the next level". It's my honor to work with kids that want to make themselves and their environments better. I am a student affairs professional; I am proud to say that. And damnit, I ain't quittin'!

Enough of the rant...I'm feeling pretty empowered right now. Remember, I'm not calling everybody out. But as Charles Barkley said, "I might be wrong, but I doubt it".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home