Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 8

81 days until graduation.

Song I’m listening to right now:
Ghetto Gospel – Tupac & Elton John

I was about to crawl into bed, after grading 10 papers from my Community Assistant class (I hate grading…I wish I had become a math teacher like my mom wanted me to. Grading math exams is just so much easier. There is a right and wrong answer. But when it comes to grading essays, it’s so hard to be consistent and fair).
Anyway, so I am brushing my teeth (yes, my toothbrush is stuck in my mouth while I’m typing this and I occasionally take a little break to brush some more…I know you really wanted to know all about my daily teeth care) and I decided that I just had to write another post today.

Today was a really good day!

I called this immigration attorney this morning. The advice I got was to apply for this Optional Practical Training (OPT) thing, which will allow me to stay in the country for one year and work within my field of study. Then, during that year, I will be able to apply for an H1B visa. So I still need to find an institution that is willing to sponsor me for this H1B visa eventually, but at least I don’t have to rush through the whole process not knowing if my visa request will be granted in time to start working in the fall. (Thanks also to everyone, who responded to my posts and give me the same advice!)

The only downside to this plan is that I won’t be able to go home for the next year. I haven’t been home to Austria in three years. Fortunately, my parents and my older sister have been able to come visit, but I haven’t seen my grandparents in such a long time. I don’t know how I’ll break it to them that I won’t be coming home in May.

It does make me feel a lot better that I won’t have to deal with the visa issue right away. I started immediately to get all the necessary documentation together for OPT.

The other thing that made today a good day was that this institution from California e-mailed me. They saw my resume posted on the ACPA Placement and contacted me to express their interest in my candidacy. I’m really excited! This is the first California school that has contacted me. I spent the rest of the night checking out their Web site, and I’ll definitely send them my application materials tomorrow.

Okay, now it’s really time for bed though. I have to get up at 7 a.m. tomorrow (Did I mention that I am not a morning person?) so I’ll be able to finish all my work before class.

By the way, I set up an e-mail address for anyone, who would like to contact me directly. I didn’t want to ruin the confidentiality of this blog (although I know I’ve been “busted” a long time ago by many of my friends and colleagues), so here my new e-mail address:
bloggerc0000@yahoo.com (the 4 0s at the end are zeros).


Sweet dreams!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home