Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 10

74 days until graduation.

Olympics Medal Count:
Austria – 15 medals (tied in 3rd place with the United States)

Isn’t it slightly ironic that my two countries are tied in 3rd place in the Olympics medal count? I used to root for the United States – back in the days when all I wanted to do was move to the US. My friends used to joke that I had been “Americanized.” I put up a big American flag in my bedroom. My parents questioned my loyalty to Austria.
But now with all this visa drama going on, I’ve lost any ability to cheer or root for Team USA. Ironically enough, the harder I’m trying to get into this country (and be allowed to stay and work here), the less I actually like it. It’s just that all these immigration laws and regulations are so ridiculous and seem to be set up simply to make my life hell.

So back to happier topics and the Olympics. What a day for Austria! Two gold medals in Alpine skiing, another gold in ski jumping and couple others just because…
I’ve getting really frustrated with the fact that I can’t watch the Olympics live this year. So this morning, I kept checking the live results on NBC, but after I found out that the Austrian ski jumping team was in the lead after the first jump, I stopped checking. It ruins all the fun if you know already, who has won. So I waited till tonight (just a few minutes ago) to see the last minutes of the second jump. It was definitely worth it! I was attempting to read this article – coincidentally it was about sports, college sports to be exact – but right before Morgi was about to jump, I just sat there and almost forgot to breath. And I’m not even into sports!

It was a great day for Austria not just at the Olympics. I scheduled two more interviews for ACPA. (Well, I don’t know if the rest of Austria actually cares whether or not I’m scheduling interviews…but hey, at least in this blog, it’s all me, right? And I know those Austrians that know me, very much care about my job-search progress… “Hi Mom! Hi Dad! Hey Sis! And of course, hello to my three best friends from high school!”)
My interview schedule is starting to fill up quickly and I haven’t heard from some of my top schools yet. I need to slow down a little to give those schools time to review my resume and hopefully contact me in regards to an interview.

Did I mention that when I filled out one of those online applications, it said that I was “not qualified” for the position? I’m still confused how that happened. A representative from that institution, one of my top choices, wanted to schedule an interview with me. But I need to figure out first what’s going on with this online application. I called Human Resources like five times before I figured out that they may be off due to President’s Day. So I will call again tomorrow. Hopefully they’ll have some good news for me and it’ll be another good day for Austria (although at the Olympics, I don’t expect us to get any medals tomorrow because none of “our” sports are taking place tomorrow.)

So let’s take a minute, think of these “awesome Austrians” (as NBC likes to call them) and your one, favorite absolutely amazing Austrian, a.k.a. Candidate #0000.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home