Saturday, February 11, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 7

Post 7 from Now Hiring?

How I'm Feeling: 'Bout time for that afternoon nap
What I Downloaded: Grace Jones (yeah, I said Grace Jones) "Pull Up To My Bumper Baby"

Well, there was a development this week on the job search front. A school I was interested in asked for an interview at ACPA. Not just any school, mind you, this was the dream school. I worked there for a summer, and I loved it. It met my two criteria perfectly, was in an urban area, had wonderful people, great employment benefits, everything. I was hoping, praying, wishing, just waiting for them to say hey man...we remember you...come on home! Well, when I checked my e-mail yesterday, there it was..."Let's schedule an interview". I couldn't tell you how elated I was. If I was already excited about Placement, now I'm like a 6-year old on Christmas Eve.

Also, I decided to apply for the job at the institution I currently go to. As I thought about it, I didn't want to be discouraged about past happenings. So, I hope to hear something back from them relatively soon. It's what I would like to do, plus I would keep working with the same people I do now.

However, I do have one problem to speak about. It's time to plan my oral defense so I can graduate. I have until April to get ready...and I'm completely lost. I don't have a clue where to start. I spoke to my major professor, and he cooly told me to look at our department's "learner outcomes" and write a paper about it. Here's two things about that:

1. Now, these "outcomes" seem really intense. I guess this group of people wanted me to learn so much in two years without acknowledging that I might not have time to actually learn them. Thinking about it, in my 2 years in graduate school, I probably didn't hit no more than 2 of them. That's a scary thought with 20 pages of blank paper staring straight back at me.
2. What did I learn that could fit into those "outcomes"? I'll tell you what I really learned...
2a. How to live off $200 a month (nope, not one those "outcomes")
2b. How to discern when students are inebriated or just acting like fools (the blue-ribbon committee didn't think of this one)
2c. How to deal with faculty members (now, wouldn't this be an "outcome"?...it really should be).
2d. How to inform your colleagues that multiculturalism is important in our work and its issues should be acknowledged by all professionals (Eureka! Got one!)

So, now I went through that, I've got to write a paper and defend myself on just one learner outcome. At least I'll have Grace Jones to keep me company (yes, the musical talents of the one and only...Grace Jones...writing this paper will be an interesting experience).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

KLS

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home