Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 6

Post 6 from Now Hiring?

The Mood: Feelin' good, lookin' good
The Music: New Edition "If It Isn't Love"

It's time for another post from the semi-infamous student affairs blogger. It has been a rather interesting couple of days since I last chatted with ya'll. Well, it seems that I've stopped getting e-mails about scheduling interviews during ACPA. I don't know if this is normal, but I was a little worrisome about this development. However, I have to remind myself that I was sending information to schools in October, so if I want a gig I'll get one. However, I'm just doing the "hurry up and wait" thing. I'm just so excited to get those dental benefits...

I did have one good development this week...a really good job opened up at my school here. The description (as I glance over it for the 49th time) looks interesting, and I would do some programming and some res life work. But...it's here...and there's no Dunkin' Donuts around (you know my fanaticism about those lovely glazed donuts). I can get over that, because I'll be doing some great work with some really good people. However, I had a not so good experience with trying to get a job, and it might skew my thinking. I'll detail it in 8 simple points:

1. Job opens up...I'm encouraged to apply. "You'd be perfect" everybody tells me. "Tell it to the employer" I sarcastically reply.
2. I apply.
3. Get a phone call...on a Saturday morning. "You in grad school?" they say. "Um, yeah" I reply. "Well, you'll have to stop going to work here" they reply. (There's a lot more to the discussion, but you get the jist of it).
4. Discuss with Dad: "Boy, remember, eat, sleep, and breathe". "Yes I know" is my reply.
5. Consult girlfriend. Before I finish the story about the phone conversation, she already has an apartment picked out. It takes me 3 days to realize that she's excited.
6. Negotiate with job. They want somebody now, and in their language, I would have to stop going to school, advising groups, studying, eating, sleeping, and breathing.
7. They tell me "Well, if you want this, you'll delay graduation." Delaying graduation costs, if my math's correct, like $7000 (or more, or less...it was a helluva lot of money, I don't remember the exact amount. It had a lot of zeroes in it). I tell them "thanks, but no thanks"
8. They hire somebody, and from what I hear she is doing a great job. No hard feelings.

So, you can understand my apprehension. I might go ahead and apply still, and hope I don't have to go through the same process. I doubt I will, so I've got some thinking to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home