Sunday, January 29, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 4

96 days until graduation.

TV show I’m watching while writing this: Screen Actors Guild Awards
Mood: tired

Job searching definitely takes over your life.

Last night, I went out with a couple of friends. I picked up one of them at her apartment and as we were driving to the restaurant, the one thing we talked about was job searching. Did you send out any resumes yet? Have you scheduled any interviews for ACPA yet? What schools are you looking at? We got to the restaurant, sat down and immediately got into the whole job searching conversation with our other friends. Did you see that job posting on the Chronicle? When do you think our professor will hand back the cover letters with his comments and corrections? Do you know what Student Life at this institution is like?

Some of my colleagues have already contacted several schools. One even had a phone interview already. Talking to them makes me incredibly anxious. Am I running behind? Should I have done all that already?

Others haven’t even posted their resume on one of the conference placement Web sites yet. A little chat with them usually gives me back my confidence. I’m doing alright. I still have some time.

But whether I’m feeling confident or anxious, job searching has been on my mind since this semester started. From the moment I wake up, I think about resumes, cover letters, job postings, etc. Right now, I’m obsessing over references. Obviously, you have to ask your direct supervisor. But then, who else do you ask? Is it good to have a faculty member? Or your advisor? Should you go with past supervisors? A supervisor from an internship? This person knows me the best, but then this other one may give me a better reference. Some people are really busy with their job, so will they actually have time to return phone calls and write reference letters? What if my reference forgets to get back to an employer? Of course, I’m also planning on sending my resume and cover letter to at least 20 institutions. Can you really ask someone to be a reference for 20 different jobs?

I really need to decide who my references will be though, because several institutions that I want to apply to ask for their contact information right away. Picking my references is really the one thing I’m waiting for. I’m also hoping to get my professor’s feedback on my cover letter this week, so that I can fix the letter before I send it out. So hopefully, by the end of the week, I’ll mail my application materials to the first 5-10 institutions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home