Friday, January 27, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 3

Post 3 from Now Hiring?

How I'm Feeling: Thank God It's Friday!
If I'm dancing at my desk, it because of: Cruna "Higher"

How about a post from your favorite student affairs blogger! Yeah, right man. The past few days have been interesting to say. I'm doing this thing called Placement, and so far it's been pretty cool. So, one day this week, I'm sitting at my desk, doing "work", when I decide to check my e-mail. Naturally this would be a instinctive move, but this day I was more focused on "work". Well, some school (to be named...nameless) e-mailed me and wanted to interview. They were public, small, and near a major metropolitan area. And, they were 10 minutes away from the nearest Dunkin' Donuts (more on this later). All of this made me think, Damn, I didn't think this was like this! So, I got me an interview, and I hope to have some more.

This got me thinking...where the hell do I want to work? At the beginning of the year, I wasn't picky at all. If you had a 401k and a dental plan, you're the place for me. If it was the University of Absloutely Nowhere But Migrating Buffalo and Fire Ants Going Here hiring, I'll move out there just for the benefits. But, all those lectures about the "fit" I kept hearing now started to make a little sense. So, I decided to narrow down my choices to two factors:

1. The school has to be a short drive away from a Popeye's Fried Chicken. Over 15 minutes driving time, you're out.
2. You've gotta have a Dunkin' Donuts close by. That's an absolute.

(Lemme digress here...if you haven't had Dunkin' Donuts, then you haven't lived at all. I'm a big fan of 4 glazed donuts and a regular coffee. It's almost addicting, I swear!)

You have to have the things nearby that mean a lot to you. In my case, unhealthy fast food ranks up there. Behind those are running water, electricity, cultural events, sporting venues, mass transportation, blah, blah, blah. I could be offered a job at Backwater State College in the middle of a swamp, where there are more alligators then students and the dorms are made of dead palm trees and mosquito nests...but if there's a Dunkin' Donuts nearby, I'd give them a second look.

But in seriousness, I want to stay close to where I'm doing my grad work. I've got a great girlfriend here that's finishing up her school work, and I have extended family in the area. The cost of living here is pretty low, and the people are nice (maybe a little to nice at times). So there are some heavy decisions to be made. But for now, I'm just looking for the closest Dunkin' Donuts...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 glazed donuts?! You must have the metabolism of a hummingbird. I hate you. But good luck anyway!

6:32 PM  
Blogger StudentAffairs.com said...

Thanks for the comments...4 glazed donuts aren't too bad for this hummingbird. I'm far away from home, but it's been a good experience. I'll keep bloggin' for all of ya.

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home