Monday, January 30, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 4

Post 4 from Now Hiring?

How I'm Feelin': Meh...
Why I Bought that $200 sound system for my laptop: Common "Faithful"

I am proud of myself today. It's not that I'm not proud of myself every day. But, I got some applications done. On Saturday, I applied to 6 places, and I applied to 3 more on Sunday. I sent some information to schools today, and scheduled another interview for ACPA. Blogger's Note: I'm not gloatin' or anything...I'm supposed to talk about this stuff, so here I am. You hear me knockin'?...then let me in!

When I went to work and told my colleagues about my fun-filled weekend, the common response was Damn, are you crazy? Well, lemme respond to that statement in three ways...
1. Hell yeah I'm crazy...I'm an engineer that moved into student affairs of all things. I can explain how students of color develop in college and how the spin of a baseball helps it travel further...at the same time. I will either be revered or committed.
2. My Dad taught me some things in life, such as how to change the oil in the car, how to put up wallpaper, and that, in his words, "Women will make you do crazy things". He also taught me the concept of eating, sleeping, and breathing. The world revolves around this concept, and involving yourself in this concept takes money. In order to get money, you gotta get a job.
3. I had nothing else to do this weekend. It can get pretty boring where I live.

One of my professors (she's one you've heard of, trust me) warned that you don't want to spread your name around too much. However, I want work. And since student affairs doesn't work like White House jobs ("since you donated some money to my campaign...how about leading the Securities and Exchange Commission?"), I have to compete. I don't want to compete to the level that I'm trying to figure out ways to cut somebody's break lines so they don't make the interview, but competition will be natural. Also, I know some cut-throat folks around here, and I don't want to be in that bunch. So, the only way I know how to get that job (remember the 401k and dental plan from last post?) is to use connections and get my name out there. I hope it's not out there too much where I have to start checking my break lines.

In all seriousness, best of luck on everybody's search. People say there's a job for everybody, and I hope everybody finds the gig they're looking for.

I'm off to work on a presentation. I'll be back later this week, so keep searchin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home