Monday, January 23, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post #2

Post 2 from Now Hiring?

How today went: Well, payday is ONLY next week...Ramen again tonight!
The reason my neighbor's don't like me: La Sonora Carruseles "Arranca En Fa"

Let's see...it's been a couple of days since I posted, and it seems like time has flown by. Why you may ask? I'll tell you why...I work with students...college students. See, I teach a freshman orientation course, and I get to see first hand how today's students act. It's like watching Perry and Chickering develop in front of my eyes. It has to be the coolest thing to see (but not as cool as watching a multistage rocket separate in the outer atmosphere and move to a elliptical orbit...that's sweet). I saw the same thing when I was working in the residence halls, but I wasn't...um...knowledgeable in those things. It probably had something to do with studying stuff like advanced calculus or quantum physics (all of which I apply on a daily basis, believe it or not) and I didn't get to the pages about King & Kitchener and Kohlberg. My bad.

So, today I gave my students a awareness quiz on multicultural issues. It's a nifty tool to open student's eyes on a variety of issues. My section today has 26 students. When I gave them the quiz, they slumped into their chairs with a "Oh crap!" face on. Classic look...I see it all the time. Some crossed their arms, some crossed their legs, and stared at the paper as if it stole their walled and keyed their car. From what I remember, this is the "pre-encounter" stage. Once they took the quiz, we went over the answers. To my delight, several students didn't get an answer right. I know what you're thinking, nice work man, making them take a test they'd fail, very encouraging. Not a very student affairs kind of thing to do, but I digress. Well, the point was that they would learn from their mistakes...kind of a tough love thing. After our discussion, several students explained their choices. Those arms went uncrossed, and the paper no longer keyed their car...it filed the insurance claims, detailed it, put 20's on it, and used 2 coats of wax (but the wallet was still missing). They were learning something that will affect them in their lives. Ah, the joys of moving towards "internalization" within 30 minutes. It's a wonderful thing to experience, like driving a nice sports car or listening to John Coltrane's "Softly As In A Early Morning Sunrise".

As the job search continues, the multiple drafts of resumes and cover letters pile up. However, I've learned that I might need to keep the good ones and not use the bad ones. I found a pretty nice job I might "fit" into and decided to apply. I go through the questions ("Have you been convicted of a felony", "Have you graduated high school", "Have you learned to tie your shoes") and finally get to the uploading page for my resume. I upload it with no problem...then I get an itchin' to check to make sure it's the right one. Well, it wasn't...it was Draft 2B or something. I upload a new one, check it, and it's still not the right one. Then, the voice in my head that sounds like Morgan Freeman from The Shawshank Redemption suggested that I label the resume with the job so I don't get confused. Alas, Morgan Freeman is there for me. So, I get the right one, and finish the application. So, I've made sure to delete all the old resumes and label the ones with the jobs I'm applying for.

Well, enough for now. I trust you've enjoyed the entry...please comment, because it gives me a reason to keep writing (or keep me procrastinating from reading all my homework...ugh).

1 Comments:

Blogger StudentAffairs.com said...

Hey Hey...thanks much for the comments, they are sincerely appreciated....this gives me motivation to keep writing, so keep the great comments coming!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home