Monday, May 15, 2006

Now Hiring?-Post 23

Post 23 from Now Hiring?

On TV: Orioles vs. Red Sox on ESPN

Well, I'm back home for a week long "vacation". I just got in, and I am suffering from jet lag. The trip was uneventful, however a little bumpy getting in. Let's just say my cup of ginger ale had waves up to 2-3 feet.

But...I got to see my baby nephew. He is even more cuter in person than in all the pictures I got in the mail. I got to hold him and watch him squirm as he laid on the couch. All the time I was with him, I was in student affairs professional (or S.A.P.) with him. As soon as I had him in my arms, I was giving him valuable advice on what situations to not get into. On the plane ride here, I was thinking about what I would say to him, and how the past engineer-self and the new S.A.P. would approach the first ever uncle-nephew chat...

ENGINEER: "Um...okay...well, you're my nephew, and there are some things we need to talk about. First I want you to learn the word 'calculus'...because you're gonna start learning it soon. Also, I'll be around to help you learn structural dynamics, chemical food processes, and advanced aerodynamics. Remember, engineers run the world, and make a damn good living too! Well, since you're awake, let's begin learning your multiplication tables..."

S.A.P.: "Welcome to your first chat with your nephew. First off, I am here to help you. I am open, ready, and willing to hear your needs. Second, I will always be your ally. If there's something I can't help you with, then I'll find your dad or grandfather to help. Feel like an icebreaker...no?...well then, let's start my first lesson...roomate conflicts. One of these days, you'll have a sibling, and you might have to share a living space with them. One way to avoid this is to remember to be open and willing to learn from your sister or brother's experiences."

The chat didn't go that way, but it was good to connect. Next time we talk, I'll get him started on Kegan and Chickering. I'm all about getting him into the student affairs family already...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are hilarious. I love that you are thinking about how to introduce your nephew to student development theory...too cute.

Good luck with your job!! :)

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home