Thursday, May 18, 2006

Candidate #0000 - Post 28

60 days until I start my new job

Song being blasted way too loud on my stereo right now:
“Because Of You” – Kelly Clarkson

Last Student Development Theory I thought about:
Schlossberg’s Transition Theory
(Okay, so I may be a nerd, but even I don’t sit around in my apartment and think about Student Development Theory on a daily basis - even though I catch myself watching movies or TV shows and analyzing the characters’ development or questioning how realistic certain situations are based on recent legal trends - but I swear I only thought about Schlossberg because a friend asked me a question about it.)



I can’t believe that I won’t be taking classes next fall. For 18 out of the 24 years of my life, I have been a student. I’m so used to coming home in the evening, grabbing a book for class and reading until I pass out. I’m used to spending hours and hours in front of the computer writing and rewriting a paper. I have To-Do Lists and a calendar of upcoming exams and due dates posted on my refrigerator.

It hasn’t really sunk in yet that I won’t be a student next fall. I mean, technically I know that I’m done with school - at least for a while, even though that PhD may be in my future somewhere – but somehow I can’t phantom what life will be like as a non-student. What do you do when you don’t have to study at night?

I know I’m going into a field where not having enough work is never a problem, but I highly doubt it will be as crazy as these past two years have been (partially due to my own doing as I just never say no and always try to do everything…yes, I know I have to work on that). Just in the past few days since graduation, I’ve suddenly had all this free time and no idea what to do with myself. Let’s take today for example: I stayed at work late because I was trying to take care of some things (bad habit, I know…I keep telling our secretary to go home because the work will still be there the next day, but I never do it myself). I got home around 7 p.m. I walked into my apartment, looked around, didn’t know what to do, finally decided to grab some flyers and post them in my area. Then I got back into the apartment again, still didn’t know what to do. I figured I should eat dinner, so I did that while watching a little TV. I don’t like the fact that I watch so much TV though. I mean, there should be something more productive a person can do. Around 11 p.m., I finally decided to go running. So I did that, then took a shower and now I’m IMing friends and writing this post. But I really need to figure out what to do with myself again. I used to have a lot of hobbies when I was younger: anything from horseback riding to dancing to skiing to reading to attempting to write my own stories to traveling and and. But for these past two years, I was either at work, studying or too exhausted to do anything.

So here’s my personal goal for this summer: FIGURE OUT HOW TO HAVE A LIFE AGAIN!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about school. It won't hit most of us master's degree recipients until August rolls around, and we're not in class for the first time in 18 or 19 years.

As for what to do with my spare time, I've promised myself that I will at least do the following:

1. Read more (for pleasure)
2. Join a local organization (preferably a Kiwanis organization), because I enjoy community service opportunities
3. Join a local gym, so I can make an attempt to get fit
4. If time permits, get back into bowling (which has always been a fave activity of mine)


Good luck with all the free time on your hands!

P.S. I've loved following along with your posts.

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home